When you’re a parent, your children factor into just about every decision you make. Where to move for the best schools, what kinds of food to buy at the grocery store, what kind of vehicle to drive-these are just a few of the many decisions a parent has to make with their kids at the forefront.
An important item for a family with small children is a safe and sturdy fence. Fences offer a range of benefits for families with small children. Kids and pets tend to wander off at a moment’s notice, unaware of the many dangers lurking out there in the wide world. With boundaries in place, kids and pets can enjoy more outside time while parents have the peace of mind that the back yard is a safe and secure area.
If you have decided to install a fence in your yard, it’s important to consider all the available options before you choose the type of fence. Smaller children are especially curious and little explorers, and you want to feel confident in letting them roam around your yard. Selecting a fence that keeps them secure in your yard is a great way to ensure that their outdoor play is safe and independent. You want to make sure that whatever fence type you choose, it will have secure latches to keep the kids in and any unwanted visitors out.
Some factors to keep in mind:
- Tall and sturdy – You want to have a fence that’s not easily climbed and one that can stand up to any weather conditions as well as rambunctious kids. Smooth surfaced fencing should effectively eliminate the risk presented by your little climbers.
- No exposed spears – Some aluminum fence options may have styles that have exposed spears a top the spindles. It is best to avoid these decorative touches for the safety of the children. A better choice would be flat top rails for an aluminum fence.
- Sturdy and secure latches – Toddlers love to open and close anything, so you need to make sure that the latches on your fence are secure and not easy for small hands to operate. The latching mechanisms should be installed high enough to prevent little ones from reaching them. It’s also a good idea to be able to tell if the gates are latched or unlatched with a quick look. That way you can always know the kids are safe with a glance at the gates.
- Splinters – Wood fences offer a lot of advantages. They’re the most affordable type of fence available, but they do have the tendency to splinter over time. It may be better to have a splinter free fence such as aluminum or vinyl. That way little fingers are safer.
- Privacy – Some families like to have a completely private yard, a sanctuary of sorts just for the family and friends. If this is important to your family, a tall solid fence is the best choice.
- Chain link – While chain link fencing is extremely durable, inexpensive, and practical for many applications, it’s probably not the best choice for the safety of your little ones. These fences are easy to climb, and they don’t offer much privacy.
- Fenced area – When you turn your kids loose in the backyard, you want to be able to monitor what they’re up to by glancing outside. To help with this, you might want to have your fence designed so that there are no areas that you can’t plainly see.
When you are ready to install a new fence, or for any questions or concerns about fencing, check with the professionals at Paramount Fence, Inc . We have over 100 years of combined experience in providing our customers with the highest quality fencing products. We are a locally owned and operated fence company in the Fox Valley area servicing the Chicagoland Suburbs. We understand that each client is unique, and our fencing experts will work with you to ensure that you are provided with a fence that satisfies your needs for years to come.
We also install indoor fencing for commercial use. From dog runs to indoor security fencing, we are able to design and install indoor fencing to satisfy your unique business needs.
We strive to provide excellent customer service, which is why we have been members of the American Fence Association for almost 20 years and members of the local Chicagoland Chapter of the Better Business Bureau (BBB) for almost 20 years. In fact, we have one of the highest customer service ratings with the Better Business Bureau in the area. For more information, visit our website or speak with us at 630-239-2714.